Currently, on 29th July the Ministry of HRD announced the new National Education Policy 2020.
- 10+2 board structure is dropped.
- The new school structure will be 5+3+3+4.
- Up to class 2 Foundation, class 3 to 5 Preparatory, class 6 to 8 Mid School, 9 to 12 Secondary School, thereafter Graduation.
- Any Degree will be 4 years.
- 6th std onwards vocational courses available.
- From 8th to 12th students can choose subjects.
- All graduation courses will have major and minor.
Example – science students can have Physics as Major and Music as minor also. Any combination he can choose Like the Liberal Arts Programme.
- All higher education will be governed by only one authority.
- UGC and AICTE will be merged.
- All University government, private, Open, Deemed, Vocational, etc will have the same grading and other rules.
- New Teacher Training board will be set up for all kinds of teachers in the country, no state can change.
- The same level of Accreditation to any college, based on its rating college will get autonomous rights and funds.
- The new Basic learning program will be created by the government for parents to teach children up to 3 years at home and for preschool 3 to 6.
- Multiple entries and exit from any course.
- A credit system for graduation for each year student will get some credits which he can utilize if he takes a break in the course and comes back again to complete the course.
- All school exams will be semester wise twice a year.
- The syllabus will be reduced to core knowledge of any subject only.
- More focus on student practical and application knowledge.
- For any graduation course if the student completes only one year he will get a basic certificate, if he completes two years then he will get a Diploma certificate and if he completes the full course then he will get a degree certificate. So students will not waste any year if he leaves the courses in between.
- All the graduation course feeds of all Universities will be governed by a single authority with capping on each course.
****This is a summarized version of the policy which we received online. Subject to changes as per the Ministry of Education India.